We often hear the terms hard water and soft water and wonder what are they supposed to mean.
If you have not laid your hands on the answer yet and are still wondering here is the answer for you. Water usually has several dissolved minerals in it. These minerals are mainly
- Cations of various metals
Water which has these minerals dissolved in them is called Hard water. Hard water is not always useful and conducive for the various purposes in which it is used. Soft water is produced when the dissolved minerals are removed from the water by a variety of methods. The method by which the dissolved metals and minerals are removed from the water is called water softening.
There are various disadvantages of hard water, some of these problems are.
- Calcification- the dissolved calcium in the hard water often forms crusts in the inner lining of the pipes and vessels and this can be very difficult.
- Sewage problems- the hard water if not softened can be very inconvenient for the sewers.
- Formation of soap scum and soap suds- hard water is something that prevents the formation of soap lather and forms scum.
There are many excellent water softeners available in the market but if you want to pick the best water softener then it is useful to follow the step by step Water softener buying the guide. There are some basic characteristics that must be looked into when buying a water softener. These characteristics are.
- One major thing that has to be kept in mind is this, that the softeners using salt are the best softeners.
- Secondly, the time that the water softener takes to regenerate.
- The amount of water that the softener can purify in the given time.
- The appearance and the weight of the softener are also another factor, it is needless to say that a purifier with less weight is more desirable.
- Another thing that has to be kept in mind while buying a water softener is the warranty period that the machine offers.
- A good water softener has the potential to work unimpaired for over twenty years.
Keeping these features in mind a few water softeners can be named as desirable water softeners. These features in the Water Softener buying guide have to be kept in mind while buying the best water softener for home.
- Fleck has some of the best water softeners that have all the desired characters that are wanted in a water softener. Fleck 5600SXT is one of the best.
- Aquasana also has some of the best water softeners that take really less time to regenerate and also wastes very little water in the process of softening the water.
- WaterBoss 220 from the house of WaterBoss is another excellent water softener that has all the characters of a good water softener. And on top of these, this water softener comes sheathed in a plastic sheath that conceals the inner machines.
With this Water Softener buying guide, getting a water softener should be a cakewalk.